The DIY projects have been MIA around here lately primarily due to the amount of time I’ve been spending on Whimseybox. But they are important to me (and my wardrobe, and my sanity!) so I’m trying to get back into habit of spending some time apart from my laptop
This Modcloth necklace was featured on the Teen Vogue tumbler a few weeks ago and instantly reminded me of a project I’ve never shared here. Since it’s only $35 at Modcloth and takes a bit of time to make it might not be the perfect DIY project unless you really want to customize the look. Nonetheless, here’s the how-to!
1. Thread a pearl onto a headpin. (Make sure you purchase headpins that are small enough to fit through the small holes drilled in each pearl.) Then complete the wire-wrap without attaching the loop to anything. Repeat this about a zillion times.
2. Cut a length of stringing wire, at least 12”. You can always cut the excess off later. Attach one side to your chain by looping it through the end link of the chain and use a crimp bead to secure.
3. Open a jump ring and thread as many wire-wrapped pearls as you can onto it- I could fit about 8. Close the jump ring and then thread it onto your stringing wire. Repeat this about a zillion times.
4. When you have enough pearls on the wire and you like the look (it takes quite a few to make it nice and bulky!) attach the stringing wire to the other side of the chain again using a crimp bead. Snip off the excess
5. Add a clasp to the to chain in the center back.
This was a pretty brief set of instructions. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask in the comments!